Monday 19 October 2015

Task 5 - Genre Research

When thinking of what genre of music I would like to base my music video off, I had already narrowed it down in my head to three possible genres; Hip-Hop/Rap or Indie.
I came to this conclusion rather easily, as these are the genres of music that I listen to most, and the ones that I enjoy the most. I also think that these genres of music have very good backing beats to the songs, and are easy to coordinate the shots around the pace of the track, and they tend to be easy to relax and listen to.

Hip-Hop/Rap:
When looking into Hip/Hop a few big names came to mind, such as; Drake, Eminem, Dr. Dre, J. Cole, Kendrick Lamar etc. All of the above are artist I listen to, so therefore it would be easy when it came to choosing a song, as I am familiar with their songs and lyrics. Rap/Hip-Hop has been popular for years, but in more recent years (2010 - ) it would seem that the Rap game has become more and more popular as time goes by, including the fact that there are new artists becoming incredibly popular regularly, for example; Fetty Wap made his well-known, well loved track "Trap Queen" in 2014 and ever since, his fame has kept on growing. Especially with his newest release of his debut album "Fetty Wap" that was released 25th September 2015.

Rap has a very unique track sound, it is very different in comparison to genres such as Rock or Indie, the backing beats that are produced have their own originality and can vary from, slow, chilled out beats that you can relax to, to very fast paced, bass enthused beats that get you pumped and wanting to dance.



Indie:
As for Indie, I had a few bands that came to mind, that I thought would be a potential choice for my music video, artists such as; Arctic Monkeys, Oasis, The Kooks, The 1975 and Bombay Bicycle Club. The beats for these bands, are usually upbeat and slow, therefore you feel chilled, and it makes it easier to relax while you're listening to it. Indie bands are far more popular in the UK than the US, although there are still unknown bands in the UK as the genre isn't as popular as Rap or Hip-Hop because Rap/Hip-Hop have many singles that are played on the radio, and become mainstream. Whereas you barely hear songs from indie bands, played on the radio.
Here is an example of a song and music video of an Indie song that I personally like and listen to, and it has inspired me, and given me some ideas for my song choice and music video:



No comments:

Post a Comment